The 2017 federal budget remains in limbo due to the Continuing Resolution (CR) that runs through April 28. The U.S. House of Representatives is trying to pass a defense spending bill that may include additional amendments to fund other parts of the federal budget. But there remains significant concern that some or all federal agencies may be subjected to a full-year CR that would freeze spending at 2016 levels. At stake for our community are all the dementia care, services, and research funding increases planned by House and Senate appropriations committees last spring, including as much as a 40% boost in dementia research.
Action Opportunity: Stakeholder organizations are encouraged to mobilize your members and constituents to call their U.S. Senators and Representatives (through the congressional switchboard at 202-224-3121) with a simple message: “Pass the 2017 federal budget this April with all the planned funding for Alzheimer’s research, care, and support.” Calls can begin now but the LEAD Coalition would like to concentrate calls during a targeted “Week of Action” from March 20-24.
To support your mobilization, the LEAD Coalition’s Communications and Advocacy Mobilization Collaboratives have developed an FY 2017 infographic, template email and social media language, and a Thunderclap campaign, below. For additional questions about this effort, reach out to the LEAD Coalition’s Advocacy and Communications Director, C. Grace Whiting at email@example.com.
Graphics & Suggested Social Media Posts
Sign Up TODAY for the Thunderclap
Thunderclap is a “crowd speaking” platform that helps organizations come together around a common message. Join the LEAD Coalition for a shared Thunderclap message that will be shared across social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram) on Monday, March 20th at 12:00 PM (noon) ET.
Get involved and sign up by March 17th to help ensure we can get this message out broadly to policymakers and members of Congress!
Join the Thunderclap at
If you are a member of the LEAD Coalition or an allied organization, you are welcome to co-brand this infographic. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a PDF version of this graphic, click here.
Social Media Posts
For the social media posts, please attach the campaign infographic (download here).
Congress must #FundAlzheimers! Call them at 202-224-3121 & say: Pass the 2017 budget w/ planned #Alzheimers funding!
To end Alzheimer’s disease, Congress must #FundAlzheimers. At the end of 2016, Congress failed to pass a federal budget for 2017. This delay is hurting the more than 5 million individuals who have Alzheimer’s disease or another dementia and the 15 million Americans who are caring for someone with dementia.
Call 202-224-3121 and tell Congress: “Pass the 2017 budget with planned funding for #Alzheimer’s!”
E-Mail Template Language
- Call your two U.S. Senators and one Representative at 202-224-3124 and tell them, “Pass the 2017 federal budget this April with all the planned funding for Alzheimer’s research, care, and support.”
- Share the FY 2017 Budget infographic (attached) on social media using the hashtags #FundAlzheimers, #Alzheimers, and #dementia.
- Suggested Tweet and Facebook Post: Congress must #FundAlzheimers! Call them at 202-224-3121 & say: Pass the 2017 budget w/ planned #Alzheimers funding!
- Please e-mail this action alert to everyone you know who would be willing to call on Congress to fight Alzheimer’s disease.
- Join the LEAD Coalition’s Thunderclap on Monday, March 20th by clicking this link, to help elevate our shared commitment to this cause.